How to make perfect pancakes, every time
With Shrove Tuesday just around the corner, here at Arthur Price we’ve been talking about our favourite toppings – from lemon and sugar to bacon and maple syrup.
However, whether sweet or savoury tickles your fancy, the entire concept can fall rather flat (pun intended) if you don’t get the mixture right. That’s why we thought we’d share the love, and tell you about our fail-safe pancake batter recipe, followed by a few of our favourite toppings.
It’s true that the way to someone’s heart is through their stomach, and with this perfect pancake recipe, you’ll be sure to make this year’s Shrove Tuesday one to remember. The recipe below serves up to eight tasty mouths – if there are less of you then either adapt the recipe accordingly…or simply eat more pancakes!
Pancakes (serves 8)
- 2 eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- Sunflower or vegetable oil
- Add the flour and a pinch of salt to a large mixing bowl.
- Make a ‘well’ in the centre of the mixture and crack both of the eggs into the middle. Pour in 50ml of the semi-skimmed milk and 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Start whisking from the centre, drawing the flour into the eggs, milk and oil in the centre. Once everything is mixed, beat until you have a smooth, thick paste.
- Add a splash of milk and whisk to loosen the thick batter. While still whisking, pour in a steady stream of the remaining milk until you have a mixture with the consistency of slightly thick single cream.
- Heat a frying pan over a moderate heat, then wipe it with oiled kitchen paper.
- Ladle some batter into the pan, tilting the pan to move the mixture around for a thin and even layer.
- Leave to cook, undisturbed, for about 30 secs. If the pan is the right temperature, the pancake should turn golden underneath.
- Flip the pancake and cook for another 30 secs before serving onto a warm plate.
- Repeat – and enjoy!
Arthur Price pancake picks
We also thought we’d share a few of our favourite toppers for these glorious pan-made morsels:
- Lemon and sugar
- Nutella and banana
- Bacon and maple syrup
- Smoked salmon and avocado
- Greek yoghurt and blueberry
We’d love to know your topping of choice, so please let us know on social media!