Mum’s the word: The ultimate breakfast in bed for Mother’s Day
It’s March and spring has sprung – the daffodils are blooming, the lambs are bleating and the sun is beaming down. It’s also the month when we take some time out and celebrate those special people in our lives: our lovely mums!
Family values are at the heart of everything we do at Arthur Price – after all, four generations of the Price family have worked in the company. It’s therefore important to us that we take the time to show these wonderful women just how much we love them.
If you’re wondering how to go above and beyond to make Mother’s Day special for that number one lady in your life, sometimes the classic ideas are the ones that impress the most. And here at Arthur Price, we truly embrace that age-old saying that the way to someone’s heart is through their stomach.
Here’s our idea for making Mother’s Day one to remember…
The ultimate Mother’s Day breakfast in bed
That’s right, we’re talking about breakfast in bed. A bit of relaxing and self-care time is what many mums dream of, so enjoying an indulgent breakfast in bed can be all it takes to pamper your mum or the mother of your children (or fur babies!) on this special day – especially if you’ve put the thought and effort into making it.
Our Mother’s Day recipe for success includes three special components: fluffy blueberry pancakes, a drink of choice and a personal touch.
First, setting the scene. What better way to serve your breakfast in bed than on a pretty tray? For the final touch, why don’t you add a some flowers to your tray in a little vase, or perhaps one of your mum’s favourite photos in a frame?
Next up, the beverage. If your mum enjoys a bit of fizz, why not create a luxury mimosa, with fizz, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and a sprig of rosemary? If your mum prefers a nice brew, bring a pot of tea or coffee, complete with her favourite mug, teaspoon, sugar and milk or cream, so she can keep filling her cup to her heart’s content. And don’t forget your Arthur Price cutlery for the pancakes. Talking of which…
These fluffy, thick American-style pancakes will make your breakfast extra special. Here’s how to make them!
- 150g plain flour
- 150ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 75g caster sugar
- 250g blueberries
- 25g butter
- Maple syrup
- Icing sugar
Mix it up: If your mum isn’t a fruit fan, these gorgeous pancakes also go brilliantly with crispy bacon.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, and stir in the sugar for a touch of sweetness.
- Use a whisk to beat the egg and milk in a separate jug.
- Make a well in the flour and slowly pour the egg and milk mixture into it, mixing with the flour as you go.
- Stir until smooth – no lumpy pancakes for mum!
- Fold through half of the blueberries and pop the mixture into the fridge for half an hour.
- It’s time to get cooking! Add a heaped teaspoon of butter and a teaspoon of oil to a frying pan, over a medium-high heat.
- Once it’s stopped bubbling, add a tablespoon of batter per pancake into the pan, leaving a gap between each to avoid creating one mega pancake.
- Work in batches, frying pancakes for two minutes per side (or until golden), adding extra butter and oil as needed.
- Transfer the pancakes to a warm plate and cover with foil.
- Plate your lovely mum a stack of four pancakes, drizzled with maple syrup and the remaining blueberries. Don’t worry – there will be some pancakes left over for you, too!
- Dust with icing sugar and take up to mum!
We hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day. Bon appetite!